The IRS offers you many options for paying your estimated tax.
- You can elect to credit an overpayment on your 2011 return to your 2012 estimated tax, rather than receiving a refund.
- You can mail a check or money order for the amount owed using the payment voucher from Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals.
- You can pay electronically using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS).
- You can pay by electronic funds withdrawal (EFW) if you are filing your tax return electronically.
- You can pay by credit or debit card using a pay-by-phone system or the Internet.
Details regarding these methods can be found in the IRS Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax, which can be obtained free at the IRS website.